Facts & FiguresFor Year to Date Fatality Totals Click Here
- 2013 Year End Total = 756
- 2012 Year End Total = 826
- 2011 Year End Total = 786
- 2010 Year End Total = 821
- 2009 Year End Total = 878
- 2008 Year End Total = 960
- 2007 Year End Total = 992
- 2006 Year End Total = 1,096
- 2005 Year End Total = 1,257
- In 2012, 826 people were killed in Missouri traffic crashes.
- Overall, since 2005, traffic deaths decreased 37.6 percent.
- Seven out of 10 Missourians killed in traffic crashes in 2011 were unbuckled.
- Only 79 percent of Missourians wear their seat belt, well below the national average of 85 percent.
- Nearly thirty percent of Missouri traffic fatalities in 2012 involved a substance-impaired driver.
- Leading causes of crash include speeding, substance-impairment and inattention.
- Traffic crashes are the leading cause of death for people 15 to 20 years old.
- Three out of four teens (13-19) killed in 2011 traffic crashes were not wearing a seat belt.
- Only 67 percent of Missouri teens wear their seat belt.
- One in four 2011 Missouri traffic crashes involve a young driver (under the age of 21).