Facts & FiguresFor Year to Date Fatality Totals Click Here
- 2013 Year End Total = 757
- 2012 Year End Total = 826
- 2011 Year End Total = 786
- 2010 Year End Total = 821
- 2009 Year End Total = 878
- 2008 Year End Total = 960
- 2007 Year End Total = 992
- 2006 Year End Total = 1,096
- 2005 Year End Total = 1,257
- In 2013, 757 people were killed in Missouri traffic crashes.
- Overall, since 2005, traffic deaths decreased 39.8 percent.
- Six out of 10 vehicle occupants killed in 2013 Missouri traffic crashes were unbuckled.
- Only 80 percent of Missourians wear their seat belt, well below the national average of 86 percent.
- Nearly thirty percent of Missouri traffic fatalities in 2013 involved a substance-impaired driver.
- Leading causes of 2013 fatal crassh include speeding, substance-impairment and improper lane usage.
- Traffic crashes are the leading cause of death for people 15 to 20 years old.
- Three out of four teen vehicle occupants (13-19) killed in 2013 Missouri traffic crashes were not wearing a safety belt.
- While Missouri’s seat belt survey shows 67% of Missouri teens wear their seat belt, 70% of the teen vehicle occupants killed in 2013 were not wearing a seat belt.
- One in five 2013 Missouri traffic crashes involved a young driver (under the age of 21)