Emphasis Area 1: Occupant Protection

Taking a few moments to properly secure yourself and your loved ones is the single greatest way to increase your likelihood of surviving a crash. Seat belts, car seats, and helmets go a long way in minimizing the consequences of crashes regardless of why they occur. Currently, approximately 88% of drivers and passengers on Missouri's roadways buckle up. Unfortunately, the other 12% account for nearly two-thirds of vehicle occupants killed in traffic crashes! Furthermore, unbuckled drivers and passengers are not just risking their own safety. They also increase the risk of injury to other passengers by 40%. The bottom line is seat belts, car seats and helmets are the most impactful and efficient ways to save lives on Missouri roadways. In fact, if all drivers and passengers on Missouri's roadways buckled up, an estimated 240 lives would be saved every year. Likewise, motorcycle helmets in Missouri save an average of 60 lives each year. Increase your likelihood to arrive alive by always buckling up or wearing a helmet when riding. 

Of vehicle occupants killed in MO crashes were unrestrained.
Lives saved each year in Missouri if everyone buckled up
Of children killed in Missouri traffic crashes were unrestrained.
Of motorcycle fatalities were unhelmeted or wearing a non-compliant helmet.
Occupant Protection